We've found that worryingly nearly 2/3 (61%) of young people aged 13-24 have avoided using sunscreen in order to get a better tan. We want to change that. See how much you know about sun safety with our myth-busting video…
5 simple steps
Love the sun, respect your skin by following our 5 simple steps:
- Slap on SPF 30 sunscreen – Apply generous amounts of water resistant sunscreen of at least SPF30 and above, to clean, dry skin before going out in the sun. Make sure you re-apply regularly throughout the day.
- Wear a hat – Whether it's a stylish fedora, a trilby or a baseball cap, all can help to keep the heat off your head, face, neck and ears.
- Stay in the shade between 11am-3pm – When the sun's rays are strongest between 11am-3pm, find a shady spot to avoid the burn.
- Protect your eyes – Slip on those sunglasses to make sure your eyes are protected from the strong rays of the sun.
- Cover up – Throw on a long sleeved shirt or top that ideally has a collar and a sarong or long shorts to protect your skin.
Worried about skin cancer? Find out more.
We've created a host of exciting and easy to use resources to teach sun safety in schools:
Our amazing set of resources includes:
- Teaching Pack
- Three Shunburn posters
- Two powerpoint lessons, one to get you started and one to recap.
- Four accompanying worksheets:
1. Mole Worksheet
2. Skin Type Quiz
3. My Plan
4. Action Plan
As well as this, we've got some printed leaflets and a selection of posters that you can order for FREE!